What is a tax refund?
Good question! And we can answer that by telling you exactly what a tax refund isn’t. A tax refund is not a bonus windfall from the Tax Gods. It really isn’t. Instead of a bonus, a tax refund is the money you overpaid to the government over the tax year. So, if you’ve overpaid your income tax, you’ll get that money back in the form of this refund at the end of the financial year – make this even easier with MyTax.
Why would I get a tax refund?
There are a number of different reasons why you might be eligible for a tax refund. Maybe you’ve been working from the wrong tax code and overpaying your taxes – this is much better than underpaying them!
But it’s not just full-time workers who are eligible for tax refunds. If you’re any or all of the following, you’re possibly eligible for a tax rebate.
- Students who may work full-time in the summer and so are taxed for the year at a full-time rate.
- Singles who earn less than $48, 000 a year. You may be eligible for the Independent Earner Tax credit (IETC).
- Mothers who worked for half the year before having their baby. You may have overpaid on tax while you were on maternity leave.
- Seasonal workers
- Seasonal workers who work longer hours in particular seasons.
- Working parents
- Working parents may be eligible for Working for Families Tax Credits or may be entitled to the Independent Earner Tax Credit (IETC).
- Office workers
- Office workers who receive a bonus and are taxed accordingly for the entire year.
- Retirees who are working odd jobs – Depending on the tax code being used – you could be charged more tax than required.
- Employees who start working half-way through the year. The IRD thinks you’ve been working for the full year and you may have been overtaxed.
How do I know if I’m entitled to a tax refund?
Here’s the thing: you don’t need to know whether or not you’re entitled because we do that work for you. All you need to do is supply us with the information we need via our application form. So easy! And the best part? If you’re not entitled to a tax refund we don’t charge you any money: no refund, no charge. You’re welcome!
How long does it take to get tax back?
Depending on how straightforward the information you’ve supplied us with is and when you request the refund, you can potentially have the refund in your account within a few days. The catch is that you have to supply us with the correct info then we can get you the rebate you deserve. If your case is more complex, or necessary information is missing from your application, it will take a little longer.
Information to provide for tax refund application
The information we need to calculate your tax refund is your IRD number, your name, birth date and place of residence. That’s all! We take all the hassle out of filing your tax returns, which is why we’re number one in New Zealand. Not to boast, but we’re kinda the best.