Frequently asked questions

Applying for a tax refund

  • When is the best time to apply to see if I'm eligible for a tax refund?
    The sooner the better. You can apply at any time of year but we can only check the past 5 financial years, so if you wait until after 31st of March you will lose the earliest years refund.
  • Why do I have to wait longer for last year's tax refund?
    The IRD does not process refunds for the latest financial year until around mid-June each year. For example, refunds for the 2017/2018 financial year will not be processed until sometime in June 2018. This delay in processing does not impact refunds for previous financial years.
  • What if I have to pay tax?
    MyTax only file a tax assessment if a refund is due, not if you are assessed as having tax to pay. We have a spotless record for only filing tax refunds, not bills, so you can be assured of our service record.
  • What does it cost?

    Our standard fee for filing a personal tax summary is 15% (with a minimum of $17.99) per financial year. This make us the lowest of the top three online tax agencies in New Zealand for standard returns. See Our Fees for full details.

    We have a no refund - no fee policy, therefore if you aren't due a refund we won't charge you a cent.

  • How long will it take to get my tax refund?
    We aim to let you know your tax refund result within 1 business day. We also aim to have your tax refund paid to you in around 5 days. Occasionally it can take a longer:
    • if your tax return requires additional information which takes us longer to prepare and file
    • if your refund is being reviewed at Inland Revenue
    • if you have applied for a tax refund for the latest financial year between April and June. Each year the Inland Revenue will only release the latest years refunds around mid June. (E.g., You apply in April 2018 for your 2018 refund - this will not be released until around mid June 2018)
    • If you have not received an email from us with your refund result please check your Junk Mail folder to make sure your email provider hasn't labelled us a spam. You can add '' to your safe list to ensure that you always receive our emails.
    We will also keep you informed with any updates to your refund application via email and text message.
  • How do I find out what's happening with my application?

    Once you have submitted your application online you can check how it's progressing by signing in to My Account. Here you can also update your personal information and reapply for new financial years. If you're unsure of anything you can also contact us by phone or email.

    We will also keep you informed with any updates to your refund application via email and text message.

  • What details do you need from me?

    We need some basic information from you starting with your IRD number.

    We also need other personal details such as your full name, address and date of birth.

    Finally, the first time you apply we need photo ID. This is a legal requirement by IRD before we can begin working on your account and helps to protect you against fraud.

  • What type of photo ID is accepted?

    The easiest form of ID is a valid New Zealand driver's licence. You can enter your licence details during your online application and we will verify this information electronically through the New Zealand Transport Agency (Veda Verification). We can also electronically verify your identity using your passport details entered into our application form.

    If you do not have a valid New Zealand drivers licence we can also accept the following other forms of ID in combination with a completed Authority To Act form:

    • New Zealand passport
    • Overseas passport with New Zealand immigration visa / permit
    • New Zealand 18+ card
    • New Zealand Firearms licence
    • New Zealand certificate of identity (issued by Department of Labour or Department of Internal Affairs)
  • Is my information safe?
    Absolutely. As practicing tax agents we are strictly confidential and are bound by the Privacy Act 1993 to protect your information. We will never disclose your information without your express written consent except to Inland Revenue and Veda Verification. Our website uses the same technology as internet banking, meaning your information is secure.
  • I have left New Zealand - can I still get a refund?
    Yes, we can still file any available tax refunds for you even if you have left New Zealand part way through a financial year. In fact, working part of the year can mean that you are more likely to have overpaid your tax and therefore have a refund. If you have closed your New Zealand bank account we can also make an international transfer to your overseas account.
  • My personal details have changed, what should I do?
    It is important that you advise us if your details will or have changed. This means we can keep up to date with you and ensure your refund money and correspondence goes to the right place. You can change your personal details by signing in to My Account, or you can contact us by phone or email.

"Linking" to MyTax

  • What does it mean when you are "linked" as my tax agent?
    It means we have the right to access certain information about you from the IRD to verify and process your tax refund. Such information might include income earnings details, employer information, tax paid, etc.
  • Will I still receive IRD correspondence?
    When we become your tax agent, Inland Revenue will forward us relevant income tax correspondence which we then promptly forward on to you - generally via email. Correspondence for all other tax types will be sent directly to you by Inland Revenue. Please ensure both MyTax and Inland Revenue always have your current address or email address.
  • Will I be automatically reassessed every year?
    No. When you apply with us we will check the past five financial years for available refunds as well as any rebates/credits that you are entitled to. We will not automatically assess future financial years without your permission. Future assessment will require a new application through your MyTax Account. Alternatively, if we are still linked as your agent, you can contact us to update any details with us and request we look into a new refund for you.
  • I have received a letter from the IRD advising that MyTax has become my tax agent, why?
    This is just an update to let you know MyTax is now linked to your IRD account so we can process your refund entitlement. This is just for your record.
  • I have received a letter advising that a bank account has been added to my account, why?
    The IRD has issued this letter advising that our trust account has been added to your account at the IRD. This allows us to keep track of your refunds. Refunds are paid into this our trust account, we deduct our fee and then refund you the balance. Your refund will be paid out to you once our accounts department has processed it. You will receive your refund usually within a few days of the date of that letter.
  • What happens if I do not wish to use MyTax anymore?
    You should contact us and let us know. You are able to remove us as your tax agent at any time, however if we have already completed your assessment and your refund is still being processed then we will only be able to withdraw your application after your refund has been completed. We will remove you from our client list and de-link as your tax agent with IRD. You should also confirm with the IRD that they have your correct bank account details on file by calling 0800 227 774 as we are unable to update this information for you.
  • What if I already have a tax agent?
    MyTax will simply become your new tax agent if you choose to use our service. This will mean you will be de-linked from your previous tax agent.

Additional tax information

  • I have paid donations. Can you include this information?
    Yes, we can lodge your donations rebate. This is completely separate to your income tax return, so even if you are not due a refund from your salary and wages you can still claim a refund on your donations. When completing our application form just ensure you choose 'yes' when asked if you have paid any donations. We will then send you an email requesting the receipts. If you have already applied with us please send your donation receipts using the contact us form.
  • I have received Dividends in a financial year. Do you need to know about these?
    Yes, if you have received dividends of $200 or more in any one financial year then these need to be included in your tax return. Your dividend provider should send you a statement each time they pay you. If you have not yet applied, simply fill in an application form and ensure you choose 'yes' when asked if you have received dividends. If you have already applied with us please send us the details using the contact us form.
  • I have received income from Interest bearing deposits/investments. Do you need to know about these?
    Yes, if you have received interest of $200 or more in any one financial year then these need to be included in your tax return. Your bank or financial institution should send you an interest statement at the end of the financial year, or this information may be available through your internet banking. If you have not yet applied, simply fill in an application form and ensure you choose 'yes' when asked if you have received interest. If you have already applied with us please send us the details using the contact us form.
  • I receive Maori Authority distributions. Do you need to know about these?
    Yes, if you have received taxable Maori Authority Distributions of $200 or more in any one financial year then these need to be included in your tax return. If the distributions are not taxable then these do not need to be included in your return, even if they are over $200. Your Maori Authority will be able to provide you with a statement of your distributions at the end of the financial year. If you have not yet applied, simply fill in an application form and ensure you choose 'yes' when asked if you have received Maori Authority Distributions. If you have already applied with us please send us the details using the contact us form.
  • I have been declared bankrupt, can I still apply?

    If you have been discharged from bankruptcy we can file your returns for the financial years after you have been discharged. For example, if you were discharged from bankruptcy in December 2015 we could file your tax return for the 2018 financial year (01/04/2017 - 31/03/2018) onwards.

    If you are currently undischarged from bankruptcy then unfortunately we are unable to process any refunds on your behalf. You can talk to your official assignee or Inland Revenue directly in regards to filing your returns.

  • I owe child support payments. Can I still get a tax refund?
    Yes you can still receive your refund if it exceeds your debt. If you do have arrears with IRD they will usually offset your refund towards your outstanding account. Unfortunately we cannot stop this process from occurring but we will let you know if IRD do transfer your refund. You can look at your tax refund as an easy way to reduce your debt if you are in this situation, so don't be afraid to apply.
  • Why has my refund gone to arrears?
    The Inland Revenue department can automatically transfer any refund towards any outstanding arrears on your account. Unfortunately we do not have the authority to prevent this from happening. You can contact the IRD if you have further queries regarding arrears on your account.
  • Can I claim any expenses?

    There are certain expenses that can be claimed against your income that can be included in your personal tax summary to increase your refund. These include: Income Protection Insurance premiums, tax return preparation fees and certain fees charged on investments. If MyTax processes your refunds year after year we will automatically include our preparation fee from the year before as an expense to increase your refund.

    You can also claim other work related expenses if you received Scheduler Payments (Withholding Payments). If you want to claim any expenses tick 'yes' on the online application and we will send you the required information. Please note, that we do require receipts for all expenses you wish to claim.

Important definitions

  • What is an IRD number?
    Your IRD number is a unique number issued to you by the Inland Revenue Department. Your IRD number may be 8 or 9 digits. You should apply for an IRD number if you earn income in New Zealand. You can find out about IRD numbers and apply at the IRD website.
  • What do you mean by 'tax year'?

    A tax year, also known as a financial year, refers to the period 1st April - to 31st of March. For example, the 2018 financial year starts on 1st April 2017 and ends on 31st of March 2018. This is different to a calendar year and it is important to remember that the IRD looks at your income in tax years.

    Refunds cannot be processed for the latest tax year until mid-June following the end of that financial year, e.g. for the tax year ending 31st March 2018 refunds will not be released until mid-June 2018.

  • What does "linking" mean?

    When you complete an application with us we are able to 'link' as your tax agent with Inland Revenue. This means that we have authority with IRD to view certain information, such as your income details, employer information, tax paid etc. We use this information to prepare and lodge your tax returns. When we are linked as your tax agent IRD will forward us relevant correspondence in regards to your income tax, which we then promptly forward on to you.

  • What does "PTS" mean?
    PTS stands for Personal Tax Summary. A personal tax summary (PTS) is for salary and wage earners and shows your income and tax deduction details for the year.
  • What is an IR3?
    An IR3 return is required when someone earns income other than salary and wages, such as withholding payments, or someone has lived outside of New Zealand for a certain amount of time. IR3 returns are different from a PTS as these are legally required and not voluntary. They can also take longer to process and involve more manual calculations than a PTS. You can view our fee structure for IR3 returns here.
  • What are the Terms and Conditions?
    View the Terms and Conditions for your tax refund.

Money on your mind?

Apply now